July 22, 2011

Summer Trip to Virginia

I was lucky enough to tag along with my Mom to Virginia for her summer vacation this year! We left a few days after the Fourth of July and just got back this past week. I had not been back to my home state of Virginia for about 2 1/2 years so I was so glad to be able to go with her! It had been way to long!

I'll be honest though. I was a nervous wreck about the airplane ride there and back! One of the flights was 3 hours and 49 minutes and I had no idea how my almost one and two year old would handle it! Thank goodness my Mom was crazy enough to hold one of them in there laps so that I would not only have the extra help, but I could get away with getting all three of us out there for the price of just one airline ticket. However, my opinion on this idea has now changed! I'll share details later though.

We had bought a Buzz Lightyear backpack packed with lots of new gadgets, toys, and a portable dvd player that we made sure Rylan did not see any of until he was on the plane. This is Rylan walking through the Salt Lake City airport. He looks like such a big kid to me! (Can you believe they were okay for him to sit on a lap?!)


While we waited to board our first flight, Rylan was in heaven checking out all of the airplanes. It was the closest that he had ever seen them!


Addilyn even thought it was pretty cool too!


I had to get settled before we took off so my Mom bravely held both kids for a couple of minutes. Ohh... sigh.. I'm so glad this is all over now as I'm remembering all of the details of our travels :)


The long flight didn't go as badly as I thought it would. Rylan watched movies, and was thoroughly entertained by all of the new things he found in his backpack. I had Addilyn with me and although she was super wiggly and into everything, she eventually fell asleep.

Addilyn at the Atlanta, Georgia airport stretching her legs before we boarded our last flight!


This last airplane was a very small plane with two seats on each side of the isles. I did have someone sitting next to me, but after they closed the doors to the plane, she saw an empty seat and jumped over to it while she still could. Although I felt bad for scarring her away, I was so grateful. It was really cramped with Rylan on my lap, not to mention this meant he got his own seat all to himself. He loved it!!

Rylan "reading" me a book... telling me all about the pictures :)


He swapped me seats so he could check out the window!


After we got in the air, I put on a movie, and he was out! Luckily he was able to stretch out a little.


So in the end, our flights out to Virginia were not that bad. Addilyn was really wiggly, but that's just her, nothing keeps her attention for very long. And neither of them had a meltdown or were itching badly to get out of their seats while the fasten seat belt sign was on. The flights back home, well... that's a different story! But I'll save that for later!

We had so much fun out in Virginia between all the swimming, visiting different family, the Safari park, and going to the beach.... I took a lot of pictures! So I thought it'd be better if I broke them up into different posts. Check back soon!

3 comments:

Holly and Ryan Vasso said...

flights can be so hard with kids...i cant wait to hear about the flight back!

Ashcraft Adventures said...

yay!! Hurry and post those pictures!!

Maranda said...

Ok, I haven't read through everything, I'm still trying to catch up on blogs. But I wanted to say that you are very brave for taking 2 kids on airplanes to Virginia. I wouldn't dare do it with just my one. It sounds like she and Addilyn have a lot in common... lots of wiggling, getting into things, short attention span. Oh, but they are both too cute! Cute little grown up Rylan walking through the airport by himself. Priceless.