October 28, 2007

Colonial Day at Summit Academy



I thought it'd be fun to post some pictures of our Colonial Day at school last week. I sort of mentioned it before, but I'll review.

We've been studying the colonial times in History and the 5th grade decided to go all the way and even become a "Colonial School" for the day. The teachers dressed up as old fashioned colonial schoolmasters with bonnets and all and treated their class like they would if we lived back then. Most schoolmasters didn't allow children to ask questions and anytime they spoke, they would have to stand. We brought in the Dunce cap to wear and of course we couldn't hit the kids so instead I made them do wall sits...it would hurt in the end depending on how long they did it for:) It was a lot of fun. We had a fake fire where the students’ homework the night before was to bring in a stick. Those who did not bring in their stick would have to sit at the back of the fire and basically freeze (as back then they had no heaters).

My kids said that the discipline worked (meaning they behaved afterwards) and tried to convince me that I should keep doing it for the rest of the year. Although tempting, it took away from the learning in the classroom and was really distracting. But it was fun for the day and hopefully my class will be more grateful and realize how nice I really am.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The colonial day looks like it turned out to be a success! You look very cute all decked out in your colonial duds.

Dan and Robyn said...

What fun you two lovebirds are having . . . Great haircut, great FHE, and great teaching idea!